Sunday, August 20, 2006

It Might Be Better To Stand On The Other Side Of The Mom, At Least For The Picture

Just a thought: If you're a U.S. Senator attending a fundraiser for a middle school that's been burned down, and a newspaper photographer shows up, and among the people present are a variety of parents and a scantily-clad adolescent girl....you might wanna position yourself squarely among the adults. I'm not making ANY suggestion of even the appearance of impropriety, because I'm sure there wasn't any, but in today's political climate... can you really afford to take any chances?

The event was a bake sale and carwash (which I'm sure accounts for the bikini). Were they trying to recreate the car-washing scene from "Cool Hand Luke" with characters based on "Lolita?"

I may have just outed myself as the biggest prude-Mom on the planet, but I'm really just kinda hoping that my daughter won't be making any downtown public appearances in bikini tops and low-rider shorts when she's just finished the eighth grade...especially if there are politicians and/or newspaper photographers around.

8 comments:

  1. I saw that photo in the paper too and sort of thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda feel the same way as you. But I fear at 18, Dink will get a lower back tat and work at the Kit Kat Lounge making three times as much as me while working weekends only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was "what the hell?"... and then I read your post.

    So you aren't alone. Somethings are just better done properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not the only prude mom out there:o) I agree with you about the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I have not kicked off by that point, I am so going to check out Dink's show.

    I hear good things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could have been worse. He could have had his arm around her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. UPDATE: Just found out about another fundraiser for the burned-down middle school. It is to be a charity golf tournament featuring, among other things (and I think I do use the term "things" in the appropriate sense here, considering how they're viewed), THE "HOOTERS GIRLS." Nice values to promote to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if I was washing cars for a fundraiser in high school, am pretty sure my mom would have made me wear a one piece. Mainly because she didn't allow me to own a bikini.

    ReplyDelete