Monday, August 28, 2006

Roll That Beautiful Bean Footage

First, let me present grocery receipt #2 in my quest for ever-greater coupon-driven savings:What was it last time? A mere 36% or something like that? I am getting better, you see! The reason that the numbers don't seem to add up to 51% is that they apparently figure the percentage saved before they figure your taxes. SO--the landmark on this trip was getting more groceries that I DIDN'T pay for than groceries that I DID pay for. And that, I think, is what it's all about. I'm shooting for the 60th percentiles next time. And still struggling with that Walgreen's thing.

And even though we are TOTALLY stocked up on groceries for weeks now, I may have to make a special trip for some Bush's Beans. Because Bella is particularly fond of those little single-serving cans of the barbecue baked beans (and will not allow you to heat them up prior to serving, which I find bizarre), and because I'm trying to segue into the main event of this post, which is to introduce my special guest, Duke, the Bush's Beans mascot, and best friend of Jay Bush, who just happens to have a new book out. Allow me to clarify: that's Duke who has a new book out, not Jay. If you're not familiar with Duke, click on his image to get a little audio memory-jog. By buying a copy of Duke's book, Duke's Tails: Duke Finds a Home, ($3.95 plus 2 proofs of purchase of Bush's products, shipping included), you will not only get a cute little story of a dog and his person finding each other and ultimately saving each other, but you will be helping Bush's to raise up to $50,000 for the American Humane Association. This charity is unique, in that its mission is to improve the welfare of animals and children. Their mission statement, taken from the AHA website:
The mission of the American Humane Association, as a network of individuals and organizations, is to prevent cruelty, abuse, neglect, and exploitation of children and animals and to assure that their interests and well-being are fully, effectively, and humanely guaranteed by an aware and caring society.

American Humane envisions a nation where no child or animal will ever be a victim of willful abuse or neglect. As a recognized leader in professional education, training and advocacy, research and evaluation, American Humane joins with other similarly missioned individuals and organizations to make this vision a reality.
I like the look of this organization. Although they do appear to support PAWS legislation, which I do not, the bulk of their efforts are very impressive and beneficial, both on the behalf of children and animals, and through many innovative programs that put children and animals together. So it is in this spirit of "kids and dogs" that I have a special gift for my readers.

When Justin Sikora, a Senior Account Executive from Edelman, Bush's public relations firm, sent me a very nice email telling me about the charity effort, and offering to send me 10 copies of Duke's new book to pass around to my friends as I saw fit, I naturally thought of you, Internets. Now, Bush's has already been running all manner of contests and giveaways surrounding this promotion, and what I would like to do, of course, is absolutely independent of Bush's Best and Edelman's and every other darn person in the world, because that's how I roll.

Bella and I have reviewed the book thoroughly, and while she insisted that "dogs do not wear clothes" (Duke sports a bandana throughout the book), and there is a scary silo accident that, having grown up around grain silos, would have totally creeped me out had not Jay Bush been depicted as smiling even as he was buried up to his shoulders in spilled beans (hee--"spilled beans"), we found it to be a sweet story, and it did elicit a number of "awwwws" from Bella.

So what I would like to do is pass on the free copies I've been given to the first 9 people who email me a picture featuring 1.) A KID, and 2.) A DOG. It's that simple. Any kid or multiple kids, and any dog or multiple dogs, as long as both kid(s) and dog(s) appear in the same picture. And by "dog," I mean, of course, a canine of any age, any gender, any breed or mix thereof. By "kid," I mean a human being of the young, small, sticky variety. The books are paperback, and not thick, so should be very cheap to ship. I may ask you for the shipping cost, but if it's negligible, I won't.

I'll let you know who the winners are as soon as I have the first nine photos in my inbox at ninjapoodles@gmail.com, and I'll post the photos here.

Obligatory disclaimer: I have no financial interest in, and have not been, nor will I be, compensated in any way by Bush's or Edelman or any other entity for any endorsement I may give to this book. I'm doing a little free viral marketing because 1.) I was asked nicely, and 2.) It's for charity, and 3.) I'm just so darn sweet. I'm not receiving so much as a free bean for my efforts, and was in fact not even asked to post anything on this blog by anyone, just in case anyone at the BlogHer Advertising Network is wondering!

7 comments:

  1. Belinda - I dont know about the rest, but DAMN Im coming to your house for dinner! You cant possibly eat that much food between the 3 of you and I am just trying to help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no photo editor installed yet on our new computer so I can't make my pics small enough to email, but here is a link to a pick on my blog:

    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1711/419/640/August%20077.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use a stuffed dog? We aren't allowed dogs in our condo...and sadly Alan's a little afraid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I am so impressed with your grocery shopping skillz.

    I'm usually happy if I just bought something on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have to give this coupon thing a try.

    I love Duke's ads. Especially the on where he has the printing press in his doghouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO jealous of your coupon prowess. The best that I ever manage is about 30%, and I've been trying!

    I've never seen the Bush's Beans dog, but Duke looks cute. I'm all for animal welfare, as long as it's not PETA masquerading as something legitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. warhammer gold warhammer money warhammer accounts tibia money tibia gold tibia item runescape accounts buy runescape accounts runescape money runescape gold runescape gp runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling cheap rs2 powerleveling runescape equipment buy rs equipment runescape runes cheap rs2 runes runescape logs cheap rs2 logs runescape items buy runescape items runescape quest point rs2 quest point cheap runescape questpoint runescape gold runescape items runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape accounts runescape gp runescape accounts runescape money runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling tibia gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling runescape questpoint rs2 questpoint Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling Hellgate money Hellgate gold buy runescape logs buy rs2 items cheap runescape items Hellgate London gold Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold runescape items rs2 accounts cheap rs2 equipments lotro gold buy lotro gold buy runescape money buy runescape gold buy runescape runes lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape gold cheap rs2 powerleveling eve isk eve online isk buy runescape power leveling rs2 power leveling tibia gold tibia item runescape accounts Fiesta Silver Fiesta Gold Scions of Fate Gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium SOF Gold Age Of Conan Gold AOC Gold ArchLord gold tibia money tibia gold runescape accounts runescape gold cheap rs2 powerleveling buy ArchLord gold DDO Plat Dungeons and Dragons Online Plat

    ReplyDelete