Saturday, December 16, 2006

How To Tell When You've Really Driven A Point Home

You're guiding your four-year-old daughter in making labels for Christmas gifts. She asks you to draw examples of images she might use to decorate the labels, so that she can pick and choose from several when deciding what to color onto the labels next. You make line-drawings of familiar Christmas symbols, such as Stars of Bethlehem, wreaths, ornaments, bells, holly leaves and berries, gift packages, Santa hats and snowmen. (You realize that you're heavy on the secular imagery here, but also that babies in mangers are HARD to draw.) The last one you draw is a little Christmas tree, complete with tiny decorations and a teeny gold garland. Now for the finishing touch.

"And to finish it off, let's put a star on the top, with the gold crayon--there's your Christmas tree!" you say.

To which your child answers, "And let's draw a little person there, NOT TOUCHING IT."

(P.S. That is not my house, nor is that me in the background, nor is that boy-child mine. I WISH. Little Blondie in the giant chair, there, is mine, lucky me! And lucky her for having a grandmother who allows juice-boxes on that pretty furniture. Where that woman was when I was growing up, I do not know.)

18 comments:

  1. Dang those little tree-touchers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee-hee-hee. If I could, I'd put an invisible fence around mine.

    I can't say that, Dink is actually pretty good. Well, mostly good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew when I saw that tree that you were never gonna allow her near it, you meanie!

    She is so adorable. And btw, let me recommend rubber stamping for a kid her age. She could make some really cool gift tags with rubber stamps and markers.

    Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classic.

    Bella goes straight for the jugular. I like that about her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. In case you're not feeling better yet about the horse thing: http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-4584913278289860160

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juice boxes are allowed on the furniture? Give me that address, I want to hang out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're like the super-ninja-nanny.

    You need to come to my house and whip my kids into shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your not getting anything by her, are you?

    OH, she is a brave woman to allow juice boxes on the furniture. I won't let my nieces out of the kitchen area with their drinks:o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both artistic and smart? My dream child. I see a psych-graphic design double major in her future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's such a doll. I can see where she gets all her talents from. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bella looks so teeny in that giant chair! I'm emailing you to make sure I have the right address before I send you a Christmas card. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Bella has been brainwashed!! Kind of like my godchild when she was 2.5. Her older sister Meg got a hamster for her 6th birthday. When you asked the baby what the hamster's name was, in one breathless statement she would say " Meggie's -famster -so -nice- no touch -it"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Bella has been brainwashed!! Kind of like my godchild when she was 2.5. Her older sister Meg got a hamster for her 6th birthday. When you asked the baby what the hamster's name was, in one breathless statement she would say " Meggie's -famster -so -nice- no touch -it"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Bella has been brainwashed!! Kind of like my godchild when she was 2.5. Her older sister Meg got a hamster for her 6th birthday. When you asked the baby what the hamster's name was, in one breathless statement she would say " Meggie's -famster -so -nice- no touch -it"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too funny! I love it.
    Really, though, you are saving yourself a world of trouble by having convinced her that the tree is Not a toy. Wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks up crazy scenarios in which my family and I are attacked. Or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what I would have given for a little girl like her when my boys knocked our tree over... for the SECOND time!

    And the hearth room is beautiful, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It reminds me of stories my parents told -- keeping the tree in the playpen so I couldn't touch it!

    ReplyDelete