Thursday, December 07, 2006

Prognosis Negative: Updated

Just an update on 'Gene (now with further updates at the end of this post): The doc called a few minutes ago with results of the labwork, and it's not good. What he found indicates a lethal intestinal necrosis, what we call in horses a "twisted gut." It's not something they come back from, unless it happens to occur on an operating table...which, obviously, is never the case. I used to think that was funny, the thing about a twist colic being too late "unless it happens on the operating table." Not funny any more.

So, where we're at now is that we have enough painkilling drugs to keep him comfortable through the night, if he lives that long, which is doubtful. If he DOES live that long, the vet will come out first thing in the morning and euthanize him. A year ago, I had never had a horse of mine die in all the years I'd had horses. Now, this will be the third.

I just want to throw up. And then find a dark room somewhere and not come out for a long time.

If it matters, which it really doesn't, this was the only horse I had that represented 3 generations of my own "family" of horses. He is also the nicest product ever to come of my own breeding. Had he lived out a natural lifespan, he might have been with me for the rest of my horsekeeping days.

He is, and was, a fine colt. A very fine colt. May his end, if it must come now (and barring a miracle of unprecedented proportions, it must) be easy, and quick.
gencolttrot


UPDATE: He's gone, and by the end, it was not a "good death." I am trying not to even think about it. Suffice it to say that it did not go as peacefully and quietly as this did. Different vet, different drugs used, way different exit. I am very upset. (There's a little more, as much as I could stand to write down, here.)

32 comments:

  1. Oh Belinda, I am so sorry to read about Gene. He is such a pretty boy. I am praying for a miracle and have seen prayer pull through some serious colic cases of our own. It is so hard, I just put my 10 yr old cat down Tues (details are on my blog). It is tough, but in a youngster, just not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Belinda, my heart aches for you. As my cat here is kneading my newely finished knitting, I just want to hold her close. It's never easy to lose a pet, as they are family members as much as the humans.

    My niece said it best, when my mom's mini poodle Tigger passed away recently. "It's okay NiNi, he's with God in 'eaven"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I'm sorry Belinda!!

    This has just been a hell of a year, huh?

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby, I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard to understand why so many bad things come in such quick succession, isn't it? I am praying that God will take away Gene's pain, by whatever means is best and that He take away your grief and give you peace.

    I love you, Sweetie.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeling your pain and hoping for that miracle for Gene with you. He's a beautiful boy, and just too young to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no -- not another. And such a pretty roan, too. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Belinda, I am so sorry. I lost my mare to what was probably a gut twist colic many years ago, and it was heartbreaking.

    I know you won't let Eugene suffer; take solace in your ability to ease his suffering when the time comes. It's the last gift we can give them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear that, Belinda! I hope that whichever way he turns, it is peaceful and he knows that he's loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say.

    ...virtual hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad to hear this. Thinking of you and Gene and praying for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry, sweetie. Wishing you peace (and chocolate... chocolate will help a little).

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is beautiful. I am so very sorry, Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saying a few extra prayers for Gene from CT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so sorry Belinda. There is really nothing that can be said to make it any better. Know my thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Belinda, I'm so sorry. I know you must be heartbroken to lose another lovely horse. I hope that he has a quick and painless passing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belinda,
    I'm so sorry about Gene. He is lovely, and looks like a real sweetie. I hope something marvelous Does happen, and he gets better. If not, you did all that could be done. Sending a cyber-hug. ((())).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a sad story...but Gene is fortunate to have your help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just as everyone else has said, hugs to you. And he is such a beauty. I love horses. Fine, majestic creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry about Gene, Belinda. He was a beautiful colt. Try to think of him up in Heaven galloping in fields of clovers with Montrachet by his side.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh. I can't stop crying. He was a beautiful horse.

    My thoughts are with you, sweetie. This is so hard. Animals are so special to me, it's sad to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My sympathies. I've always found horses to be beautiful animals, and this one seemed special.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so, so sorry to hear that, Belinda. As always, I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sooo soo sooooo sorry! It sounds like you were very close, and it hurts to watch your loved ones hurting . . . Gosh, if only there was something I could do.

    I have been through much loss in these last five years, all of which were hard to take. I still ache for my Qui-Qui poodle, my sweetest friend. I talked about him for an hour with my sister just today, showing how he is always on my mind even after all of these months.

    It's terrible that you couldn't make him comfortable, but you know you did all you could. I'm sure he knows he was loved dearly and looks forward to seeing you again. I really feel for you today.

    Please take care. You'll be in my thoughts.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am sorry that it did not smoothly. It is hard when that happens. My wishes and condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gosh.

    Belinda, I'll echo your previous comments with "I'm so sorry you had to go through this" as well as express my deepest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love you, Belinda. *TIGHT HUGS*

    ReplyDelete